Homemade Gingerbread Cookies
Are you excited for Christmas? I am so excited!
Time flew so fast. It’s hard to beleive that Christmas is almost here. I’ve mixed feelings about it. I love doing all the traditions on Christmas day and spending time with family and friends but I hate to see the festiveness ends. Oh well, enough complaining, let’s just enjoy the every minute of rest few days.
This past Tuesday I decided to bake some cookies. Only four days left for Christmas and I didn’t have any plans for baking but my little love bug loves “The ginger bread man” story. There’s not a day goes by without hearing the ginger bread man’s story in our home these days.
We sing ginger bread man song all the time. Love bug loves to hold my hand and run upstairs while singing that song( Run run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me I am the ginger bread man), so I decided making ginger bread man cookies are the best for this Christmas.This was the first time love bug’s going to see and taste a gingerbread cookie.
I just knew he is going to like them and he did. He loves them so much!I thought I’d share the recipe with you. By the time you see this, only a day left for Christmas but I promise you, this is such an easy recipe if you looking for last minute cookie/gift ideas. won’t take much time to bake and they are so good. How about warm ginger bread cookies and a cinnamon tea…
That’s what happens to me these days.
Here’s the recipe. Get your baking mood on, and have last minute cookies done if you haven’t done yet:)
Not too late for something yummy and cute:)
Ginger Bread Man cookies
3 cups of all purpose flour
2tsp of ground ginger
2 tsp of ground cinnamon
½ tsp of ground cloves
2 tsp of ground nutmeg
½ tsp of baking soda
1 ½ cups of butter( room temperature)
1 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of honey ( you can use molasses too, I had honey, so I didn’t bother to get molasses)
1 egg(room temperature)
½ tsp of salt
- Add the butter into a bowl and cream it until smooth.
- Then add the brown sugar and honey, and mix until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Get another mixing bowl and add flour, ginger, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, salt and mix well using a wire whisk.
- Take a parchment paper. Dust it with flour( to avoid the sticky dough) and put the dough into the parchment paper.
- Roll the dough using a rolling pin( dust the flour onto the dough if it’s still sticky and having hard time rolling) until the dough is thick enough to make cookies. ( about 1/8 inch thick)
- Use a cute ginger bread man cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Use a spatula to land the cookies on to the parchment paper safely.
- Let the cookies rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- After chilled in the fridge, you can bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. If you need cookies to be softer, you can take them out sooner.
- Let the cookies cool completely before you decorate it.
- Decorate the cookies with icing or you can just serve them as it is.
I used some basic decorating on mine, you can be more creative and decorate them with so much details on them and have fun.
Decorating with kids would be so much fun. I had so much fun with my little love bug.
Love bug had so much fun removing the buttons and eating them:)Arn’t they cute?
Great gift idea for somebody you love!
Don’t you like to get a box of homemade ginger bread man cookies for Christmas?
I think it’s a great way to spread the love to your friends and family.Imagine this in front of your door?What will be your reaction? I bet you will have a happy smile.
At least I will…
and you open the box to this…
I am going bake one last batch tomorrow for my neighbors … and they are getting one of these boxes for Christmas.I hope they will like it.
Santa is going to have one or two of these with a glass of milk too.
Love bug won’t ask too many questions since he is still too small but I can’t wait to tell him that we are going to leave Santa some treats, and Santa is going to leave us gifts under the Christmas tree and wake him to that magical morning to show the gifts and opened them:)
That would be so much fun!It’s not an easy job to keep little one’s hands off of these. Too many cookies keeps him up for a long time at night:) I am busy busy busy trying to get all the last things done before Christmas Eve. So excited to have so much fun with my family. I hope you are busy and so excited as I am for Christmas and New year…
Stay warm and make sweet memories with your loved ones:)
What are your plans for the holidays? Are you looking forward to receive friends and family or looking forward to travel and visit friends and family?
Happy Holidays Everyone!
Have fun wherever you are!